Technical Information · Talisman ceramic tile
- No special maintenance required.
- Clean as you would surrounding materials withcommon household cleaners.
- If the tiles have been neglected, built-up dirt and grime can be cleaned with commercial stone cleaners. Even acid-based stone cleaners will not harm the tiles.
Ancient White – all-over, flowing glaze. Clay shows through the glaze on the design’s ridges.
Primal White – variegated glaze. Clay shows through the glaze in irregular markings.
- The clay shows through the glaze more on some tiles, less on others – especially with Primal White.
- Within an order glazes will range from opaque to translucent, and from matte to crystalline.
- The heat of our kilns deepens the clay’s color to varying degrees, like an oven browns a batch of cookies.
- Computerized kiln controllers and carefully refined glazing techniques allow us produce tiles in a consistent range.
- Oxides in the clay create random streaks and specks.
- At the peak temperature of each firing, the glaze boils; as it cools, small bubbles are sometimes frozen in time.
- Small crazing lines are often apparent and may become more visible over time.
- Extent of the range suits the size of the order. (We look at the tiles in each order to ensure they exhibit an appealing range – neither too broad nor too narrow. As a rule, the smaller the order, the narrower the desirable range.)
- Indoors in wet or dry locations, including shower stalls, tub surrounds, backsplashes and indoor pools and fountains.
- Outdoors in temperate climates in wet or dry applications, including pools and fountains.
- Not frost proof.
- Vertical applications only.
- Stoneware clay
- Matte, stone-like glazes. (Chemical make-up of glazes is similar to limestone and marble.)
- Described as Actual
6 x 6 in 6 x 6 in
4 x 4 in 4 x 4 in
2 x 6 in 1 7/8 x 6 in
2 x 2 in 1 7/8 x 1 7/8 in
1 x 6 in 7/8 x 6 in
1 x 1 in 7/8 x 7/8 in
9 Base of all tiles is 5
/16 in thick.
9 Tiles are handmade, so there is some variation in
- For substrate and adhesive, follow the guidelines of the Tile Council of America. In most applications, thinset mortar is suitable.
Spacing: As close as possible, preferably an
eighth-inch apart or less.
9 Grout: off-white, sanded grout that closely
9 Apply an invisible penetrating sealer/grout
release before grouting.
9 Clean all grout off the tiles before the grout
dries. If there is any excess dried grout after
installation, it can be removed with a chemical
stone cleaner or stone stripper.
9 After the installation is fully dry, seal the tiles
and grout with an invisible penetrating sealer.